Monday, August 22, 2005

Size Too Small

There comes a time in a person's life when he or she must "suck it up" and git-er-dun. Just as my sister did not want to watch Must Love Dogs with me this evening, but went to make me happy (and for a free Icee), I really do not want to blog, but I will for another person's happiness (as per Grace's request). Which brings me to my first story. Tonight when my sister and I were loading up on all the free food and drinks we could carry, I thought to myself: "This is cute: a brother and his little sister at the movies. We look so much alike (we were both wearing black framed glasses)." On my second trip to the concessions stand, the girl helping me said: "So you brought your girlfriend-- that's cute!" I replied: "Yeah! She's a great girl-- I'm so glad that she puts up with me... even when I want to see movies like Must Love Dogs." Well, I didn't say that... but you can imagine what'd be like. I simply thought to myself: We look so much alike! What are you thinking???"


The following is a synopsis of the past week...


Guero, Texas Ranger

Usually, I fall asleep at 5am and wake up at 3pm. This was not the case on Tuesday. For some reason, I fell asleep at 11pm and woke up at 3am. After dividing my time between thinking about monkeys, dinosaurs, sailing, fashion, Jell-O, and spending time on the computer, I turned on the TV to find that Walker Texas Ranger was on! Score! The title of this episode was "El Coyote (part II)." In this episode, Walker goes undercover, posing as a Mexican immigrant/ farm laborer, so that he can investigate the murder of a field worker. First off, Walker is white! What were the producers thinking?: Hey if we give him a beard and dye his hair black, no one will question his ethnicity!" Yet another reason to love the show. So as I ate my breakfast (choice leftover pizza), I couldn't help but be thankful for a show that has a two-part episode in which more happens in the last ten minutes of the second part, then in the first hour and fifty minutes. We’ll all agree, it’s the show’s flaws that make it so entertaining!


Small Body, Large Belly

In a momentary lapse of boredom at work, I looked out a window to see a little girl punching her grandpa's huge belly. He would tighten it up, as much as a beer belly can tighten, and then he would give her the signal to hit him. She punched him with her tiny fist about five times, and I couldn’t help but laugh each time. It was such a bizarre and fascinating sight. But what kind of message was he sending to this little girl?: that's okay to hit the elderly and people who are overweight?...


Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

I encounter enumerable rude people while working concessions at the movie theater. I can partially understand adults being short or demanding, but teenage punks are another story. Often times, kids will ask for an item in a rude or harsh tone. On several occasions, I've glanced up from what I have been doing with a look of "What did you just say to me?". Two of these times, the kid (one a thug) said to me: "Please. I'm sorry, I didn't say ‘please’." Also, there was time when a kid walked through our lobby and let loose a huge burp as he looked at me. I gave him a stern look and he promptly said "Excuse me." Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of releasing gas, but there's a time and place for it. That time is when you're in your 70s and the place is the church pew.


The Fast And The Frustrated

I spent a few days at the beach this past weekend, which proved to be an interesting time and a good lesson in humility. When I put my wetsuit on I thought: “Wow, I must be getting buff… this suit is really tight in the arms.” Later, I realized that I had used my sister’s wetsuit, which was meant to be worn by someone who doesn’t weigh more than 105lbs. After surfing, I rode ATVs with my cousin, who has several quads and a dirt bike. It was a criz-azy time of riding on massive dunes and going a little faster than I should have. In all, it was a fun weekend and a good opportunity to spend time with my cousin who still looks up to me (he's 16, and despite admiring me, he thinks he can kick my butt because he's got a half a foot on me). I tried to treasure my time with him while he still thinks I'm cool. Chances are, the next time I see him he'll put me in a headlock or pants me.


I would just like to give a quick shout-out to the people who have been with me since the beginning of this blog. Though the number of people who visit this blog daily has greatly increased (from about 2 a day, to over 30 a day), I most appreciate you who have been loyal from the beginning. Even though I'm making it big in the blogging world, I promise to remain the same person. I expect you to refer to me as Sir, but I'm the same guy. I keed! I keed! But seriously, keep it bloggerific, like it's all terrific! Much love!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

for not wanting to write a blog, that was a substantial one. and i liked it!
my little brother is 16 and a gigantic, old looking man-child. when i go to the movies with him i have to be as big sisterish as possible because i fully realize he looks like he could be my boyfriend. NOOOO.
i like on conan when they do the random walker quotes.
way to keep the surly concession kids in check. i hate it when people are rude to strangers.
when i burb, i like to say "ooooh yeah" ala the koolaid guy. that's why all the fellows love me.
alas, i have said too much....

5:03 AM  
Blogger honestdave said...

you see that movie la isla yet. i mean the island. it may have come out last year. but i just saw it yesterday down here in sudamerica.

i was impressed.

ok. thats all for now.

dave

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home