Friday, August 12, 2005

How I've Bean...

My sister and I got really hungry at 2:00am a couple of days ago, and decided to make a trip to the Taco Bell Drive-Thru. As I pull up to the box to order, I hear a voice say: "Welcome To Taco Bell! How have you bean?" I started laughing really hard and responded in a thick Mexican accent: "I bean real good!" My sister got really mad at me for making fun of the girl and called me insensitive. I replied to my sister, in the middle of ordering: "She said bean, instead of been! She had to have said it on purpose-- I'm sure it's a common T-Bell joke! Of course I'm going to say something about it!" As the girl taking my order read back my items, it occurred to me that maybe she wasn't joking earlier. She did indeed have a very thick accent, which was highlighted by the pronunciation of the words Gordita and nachos. I felt bad about commenting on her accent and got out of there as soon as she spit in my food.

I haven't really done much the past few days. I was asked to lead the high school youth group while our youth minister is at World Youth Day, so I did that on Wednesday. It was a great opportunity to continue to discern my future profession and get to schooled in humility. The group has grown and changed a lot throughout the past year, and very few of the new kids know me. I spent the first hour of the night introducing myself to everyone and getting to know a little about their faith. Most kids were surprised by my forwardness, but understood why when they found out that I wasn't a fellow high school student. Most of the kids: "Which high school do you go to? Is this your first time at youth group?" Many laughs were had and it was definitely a good time! I gave a lesson on the Saints and it was great to clarify a lot of misconceptions. It was also good to share about the honor that is due to Our Lady and how my relationship with St. Joseph has transformed my life.

On a completely different topic, I heard this song yesterday that blew me away! The song is called "Hide And Seek" by Imogen Heap. I haven't heard a song by a female vocalist so unique, moving, and so choice, since Frou Frou's "Let Go" (it's probably not a coincidence that the songs are by the same artist). So download it today-- your music collection will be greatly improved.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

when i used to work at the DQ, i would sing to people through the drive-thru speaker. i only got to work drive-thru one day, but what a day it was.
my sister's a youth minister. you guys could be best friends.
i enjoyed your questionaire email. i like those. my internal monologue is actually me being interviewed on a late night tv show, so those kinds of emails are really up my alley.

5:34 AM  
Blogger yoyoyoy said...

So you finally got to doing all of these blog entries and I somehow manage to fall off the face of the earth and not comment on any. Well, I must say good job on so many entries. I like taco bell, but then, you already know this. We should eat more taco bell when we get back to school. I also was thinking about going to a real disc golf course at some point [there is one 17 miles from school]. Hopefully I will call you soon when I am not hurting. Hope you finish the summer up good. This is a really long comment. The End.

3:24 PM  
Blogger AdSenseGuy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home