Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"It's quite okay for a gangsta to wear sandals." --Common

Well, friends... it has been a long time since I last blogged. So many fun and crunk things have happened in the past month and I hope that this blog will not look too time-consuming to read. I haven't blogged in a whole month, so please hear me out.

The beginning: About a month ago the Sweetheart Gang made their second pilgrimage to Columbus to see Iron & Wine. It was glorious! We were about 6 feet from the stage, in the center. The whole concert, Meg and I were hoping that he would play Trapeze Swinger (are new favorite I&W song). And guess what... Trapeze Swinger was the only song that he played for his encore. It was maybe the best 9 minutes and 31 seconds of my life! And Sam Beam winked at Meg as the entire Gang gave him a thumbs up (she's still in shock a month later). A perfect end to a flawless concert (opening band excluded). As a nightcap, we made our way to Waffle House to eat some Dirty South cooking-- enough said!

My remaining time in Steubenville was marked with much prayer. Not being in school for my last three weeks there, and having lots of free time on my hands, allowed me to be very introspective and prayerful. I really learned to love silence and grew in a deeper understanding of myself as a man. I walked a lot each day, with the intention of being in silence with God and simply enjoying His beauty in creation (for those of you who know Steubenville, please do not laugh... I'm serious). It was a very simple and powerful time of growth.

At this time I would like to give some shout outs to all of my friends! In reflecting on my life and its many blessings, I was especially thankful for the friends that God has generously given me. Each one of you love so well and encourage me to be a better person. I always feel so appreciated and respected when I am with you, and for that I am extremely grateful. Mad props to all my homies!

The Middle: At the end of June I made my way home. It was tough to say goodbye to all my friends in Steubenville whom I had gotten use to hanging out with everyday... but I knew that I had to go home. Shortly after returning home, I turned 24 on July 1st (also Sufjan Stevens' birthday). It was a pretty good day overall. My parents threw a party for me and it was good to see my extended family. My kid sister made me a birthday cake that said "Happy Crunk Day!", which was off the hook!

The End: for the sake of length, and to write about more important things (I kid), I will write in a later blog about the many changes that have been taking place in my life. Now it's time for an "All-Chicago" review of some CDs that I've been recently listening to. Click on the title and artist to go to Amazon.com to sample songs from these discs.


Common - "Be [edited]": Enough good things cannot be said about this album. In a time when so much attention is being given to Southern Rap, particularly due to the upcoming release of the motion picture Hustle & Flow, Common's CD is a refreshing and intelligent showcase of Mid-West talent. Produced by Kanye West, also from Chicago, this album is jam-packed with original beats and witty lyrics that will not cease to impress you and make you smile. Common proves with "Be," that credibility is more important than notoriety. Take that Dirty South! Grade: B


Wilco - "Being There": This Chicago-based band has been around for over ten years, but has only received national attention since releasing "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" in 2002. This album, which was released in 1996, is arguably as good, but less mainstream. I honestly hadn't heard any music from this disc until a few months ago when I saw Wilco in concert. Though unfamiliar, the songs performed struck me as being extremely catchy and powerful. "Being There" is two discs of breath-taking vocals and is truly a gem. It is definitely worth a listen and will not disappoint any Wilco fan. Grade: B+


Sufjan Stevens - "Come On Feel The Illinoise": This album is a masterpiece of originality and beauty. I argue that this is the best CD that has been released this year. Sufjan's second theme CD dedicated to one of the 50 states (his last being dedicated to Michigan), chronicles his memories of his time spent in Illinois. You simply need to listen to this CD, it is like nothing I've ever heard and there is no point in describing it. Standout tracks include: "Concerning the U.F.O Sighting...," "Jacksonville," "Decatur...," "Casimir Pulaski Day" (my personal favorite), and "Chicago." Grade: A

I'm going to see Sufjan in San Diego on Friday. Fortunately, I got the day off... so I will not have to quit my job. I missed seeing him once and it was not going to happen again. It is sure to be a concert of a lifetime and I can't wait to see my homeboy live!

Well, if you made this far... you're a good friend. Thanks for caring and much love!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

robert,
i've missed your blogs. happy belated birthday and thank you for the reviews. off i go to amazon to place them gently and lovingly on my wish list where, perhaps someday, i will revisit said list with money in my pocket and order them. hurrah.

5:23 AM  
Blogger yoyoyoy said...

"Obligatory comment to encourage you to post more."

p.s. Sufjan is really awesome, have his Illinoise album now and it is, to borrow someone else's term, so very choice. Keep up the good reviews.

p.p.s. Happy belated Birthday. Hope the rest of your time is Cali is off the hook. A.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home