Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Never a dull moment at The Sharp Edge

The Sharp Edge was both a memorable experience and a sociological experiment. Many laughs were shared over good food and choice brews, as well as some intense observation of a couple seated next to us. This couple did not draw our attention because of what they did, but because of what they were not doing. They hardly spoke a word the entire dinner. They were very quiet and cold to one another, an obvious contrast to the table I was sitting at. Despite the often inappropriately loud laughs and many interesting stories being shared at my table, I couldn't help but study the dynamic of the mystery couple. Both people were middle age and I assumed were married. I sought to confirm this assumption by spotting wedding rings. This endeavor took a painfully long time. It took close to five minutes before both rings came into sight, confirming my suspicion. By this time, it was noticeable to all of my friends that I was staring at the couple, who were only four feet away from me. After consulting my colleagues, if you will, the results of my study proved to be inconclusive. We unanimously agreed that each person was indeed married, but disagreed on whether or not the two were married to each other. After conducting our sociological experiment, the crew (Nasty, Meg, and Gina) capped off the night with a viewing of The Phantom Of The Opera, while enjoying some tasty cinnamon rolls. For those of you who are beginning to doubt my "hetero-street credentials," I downloaded the new Sufjan Stevens album,** while sitting in front of a TV playing "The Phantom'... I didn't actually watch it.

**I will later dedicate an entire blog to this masterpiece.


Moving on...
Oh, music... how sweet thou art! To borrow, and slightly change, a quote from a well-known brother: "[Music]: God's love made [audible]." Never have truer words been spoken. God communicates his goodness to us in many ways, and this weekend his used Mariah Carrey and Gwen Steffani as the channels of his love (crazy, maybe not even funny, but stick it out). The songs "We Belong Together" and "Holla Back Girl (radio edit)" have been in heavy rotation in both my CD player and in my head. While everything about these songs, namely their commerciality, would seem to create a great obstacle to me listening them, it is with humility and joy that I can proclaim my great love for these songs. Sometimes catchiness can wear down even the biggest of music snobs and lead to an appreciation of music created for 13 year-old daily viewers of TRL. Enough said.

View my blog soon to read about other guilty and embarrassing pleasures of mine...

2 Comments:

Blogger "M" said...

hey, no worries rob- i appreciate the gwen stefani. 3 reasons:

1) the illuminata pace graduate girls (myself included) just went on a cruise. hollaback girl was our theme song. why? because..."this SHIP is BANANAS!"

2) phat beats. word.

3) meg burke told me that courtney love called gwen the "popular girl plastic cheerleader" of the musical world in a public interview. so gwen made the song as a retaliation. the video is hilarious. i love it. way to use creativity to smack down courtney love. yeah!

4:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i like to shake my booty. hence, i enjoy gwenny's song. and i am also, like her, not a holla back girl. i know this because i had to ask what that means. and i'm not one.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home